Giving Tuesday | Share your #Unselfie with Children’s Bureau
In honor of Giving Tuesday on December 2, 2014, Children’s Bureau is encouraging friends, family and partners to join us in a social movement designed to inspire others to give back. Our “Share Your #Unselfie” campaign is launching on November 11, 2014, and will help us show that being selfless is as hip as ever. Join us as we make strides on social media to bring new meaning to selfies – or “unselfies”. Make your #unselfie donation here.
What are we trying to accomplish?
We are taking advantage of the power of social media to prove to people that giving back is just as easy as spending money on everyday things. Our goal is to inspire people on Facebook to make a donation to Children’s Bureau by matching what they spent on themselves (or some other amount).
The amount we spend on ourselves over the course of a week adds up quickly. Starbucks runs, filling up for gas, getting a haircut, a round of golf – these are all things we spend our money on that benefit us. While there is nothing wrong with treating ourselves to nice things when we can, the #Unselfie movement is designed to get people to reflect and remember just how easy it is to help others too. Children’s Bureau is flipping the script, and we hope that you’ll join us as we turn our “selfies” into “unselfies”!
What is an #Unselfie?
If you’ve spent any time on social media within the last year, you’ve probably noticed the “selfie” epidemic. A “selfie” is a picture or status update someone posts of themselves. We aim to bring more meaning to selfies by accompanying them with an act of good will that benefits others. An “unselfie” is simply a selfie that someone posts sharing that they have done something good.
Think of it this way:
Someone posts a picture/video or status update telling us what they spent their money on, and that they pledge to match that price or some other amount by donating to Children’s Bureau at all4kids.org/unselfie in honor of Giving Tuesday.
Examples of opportunities to post your #Unselfie
Below are some ideas of times when you might consider posting your unselfie. After you spend money doing one of these things, donate to Children’s Bureau by matching that amount (or however much you’d like to give). Then, upload your selfie to Facebook and tell us all about it!
- Starbucks purchase
- Uber ride
- Oil change at Jiffy Lube
- Business purchases (companies can match what they spend on an employee event)
- Shopping at Nordstrom
- Buying groceries
- Hotel room cost
- Filling up for gas
- Dinner…at a restaurant like The Border Grill and Mud Hen Tavern.
- Lunch at The Habit Grill and Applebees
- A withdrawal at an ATM from Bank of America, Wells Fargo, CitiBank, etc.
- Breakfast at IHOP
- Buying groceries…like at Whole Foods and Fresh and Easy
- Pizza take-out at Fresh Brothers
- A book from Barnes and Noble or your favorite local bookstore
- A purchase for kids at Gamestop, Sketchers and Toys R Us
- An online purchase at Amazon
- A round of golf
- A month of a gym membership
- A haircut at Supercuts, Floyds and Sports Clips
How to post your #Unselfie
- Spend money somewhere (on lunch, Starbucks, gas, etc.)
- Donate to CB (match the price you spent or donate some other amount)
- Take a picture of yourself (a “selfie”)
- Upload your picture to Facebook
Be sure to include:
- What your #Unselfie was (what did you spend your money on that you based your donation to Children’s Bureau on?)
- What your donation supported in honor of Giving Tuesday (a donation to Children’s Bureau supports the prevention of child abuse)
- Tag 3 friends in the post, and ask them to post their #Unselfie
- Link to Children’s Bureau’s donation page (all4kids.org/unselfie)
- Use these hashtags so we can find your post: #Unselfie #GivingTuesday #TheGreaterShare
Thank you for your support!
With your help, we know we can change lives. Even the smallest “unselfie” donation helps us in our mission to end child abuse – and with the viral power social media has to offer, a little bit quickly turns into a lot. Thank you for your help, we look forward to seeing your #unselfie!